First off, Halloween!
Halloween has always been a magical time for me. Although not much trick or treating is recognized in the Philippines, the cold air adds up to the Halloween and almost-December feel, and not to mention those times when we watch re-runs of our favorite Halloween specials. Can I hear a Treehouse of Horror Specials from The Simpsons?
Second is, college is out! For a couple of weeks, that is.
A few weeks of sem break didn’t hurt anybody.
For you guys who haven’t heard of this, here’s a little overview of what Oktobeer… Oktoberfest is.
Oktoberfest is the largest beer festival in the world which originated from Munich, Germany.
Locally, in Germany, it is often called the Wiesn, after the colloquial name of the fairgrounds (Theresienwiese) themselves. The Oktoberfest is an important part of Bavarian culture, having been held since 1810. Other cities across the world also hold Oktoberfest celebrations, modeled after the original Munich event, and luckily, the Philippines also celebrates this one-of-a-kind event.
I’ve always been a beer kind of person so people who appreciate beer, you might want to check this out if you haven’t tried the Oktoberfest experience yet.
Of course, we just don’t celebrate beer on Oktoberfest. More than just the alcohol, we get to commemorate the good times of having our families, friends, and loved ones around. In my honest opinion, I think that’s what Oktoberfest is all about. The beer is just an added bonus.
If you want to experience a dose of Oktoberfest, Poppins is just about the right place to head on over to.
For the whole month of October, Poppins will be throwing its very first Oktoberfest where you can enjoy beer and play games that would bring you back to the good ol’ days.
Enjoy their casino-inspired drinking games, family card games with a twist, and their drinking games which any college student would love to try.
Booze and Beer Price Rundown
For those who fancy beer more, you'll love that Poppins has made it more affordable despite its high-end ambience. San Miguel Light and San Miguel Pale Pilsen are made affordable from the price of 62php to 32php for people who will be playing the games.
If you're the adventurous kind, hard drinks will only be priced at 8php per shot for those who will be playing games with shots.
And if you're like my best friend who loves Red Horse Beer more than anything else, you can drink all the Red Horse you want with just the price of 175php.
Not to mention prizes and giveaways await the lucky winners!
Curious on what the games are? Here are the game descriptions to keep you hyped up:
• Liquor Roulette – 1 shot of Vodka, (No. of people in the group.) shots of water. See who’s unlucky within your group.
• Wheel of Shots – Test your luck. Get a free 300 points worth card with Zing Rewards or win a free prize from Emperador or a free bottle of Smirnoff Mule. There is section in the wheel where you may have to do an ‘acrylic kiss’, it may be a reward or a penalty. If the player cannot do the challenge the player will be fined.
• Monopoly Board Game (with a twist) – Chug a beer when you lose a property, drink 2 shots when you go to jail, or take one shot when you land on chance.
• Uno Playing Cards (Adult Style) – Each time a player will a lose the game the player must drink 2 shots, each time a player receives a +2 card or a +4 card the receiver will have to drink 1 shot.
• Twisted Beer Pong – This is like the original game with its original rules, except rather than just having cups of beer, a number of cups are filled with mysterious liquid in them which the player must still drink.
• Flip Cup – Ordinary rules apply. Each team who will win may receive rewards or prizes shouldered by Emperador.
• King’s Cup – Ordinary rules apply. Each team who will win may receive rewards or prizes shouldered by Emperador.
• Cup Swap – 2 individuals will be provided with 2 cups each, 1 cup is filled with beer while the other cup is empty. They will be given 30 seconds to transfer the beer (using a teaspoon) inside the cup into a vacant cup they are provided with. The player who transferred the most wins, the loser would have to chug all the beer.
Overall, different individuals have different tastes when it comes on picking their poison (booze and beer, for this matter). Let Poppins keep you company this October.
Poppins is located at Tomas Morato corner Sct. Madriñan, in front of IL Terrazzo, on October 2, 9, 16, and 23. (6PM - Onwards)